For Employers

Hiring & Employment

If you employ an individual as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist, it is important for you to understand your responsibilities as an employer.

Prior to commencing employment, employers are required to verify that all audiologists and speech-language pathologists that they wish to employ or engage are registered with the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Manitoba (the College), and eligible to practice, as per the Regulated Health Professions Act, Section 167. Employers are forbidden to employ or engage an audiologist or speech-language pathologist unless the audiologist or speech-language pathologist is registered and holds a valid certificate of practice granted by the College.

Employers may verify that an audiologist or speech-language pathologist is registered with the College by referring to the Public Register. Furthermore, employers may verify information regarding a registrant of the College by contacting the Registrar,

Employers may also verify that a corporation holds a valid permit to carry on the practice of audiology or speech-language pathology by reviewing the Health Profession Corporation Register.

More information regarding the Official College Register, the Public Register, and Health Professions Corporations is available through this website: For the Public

On-Going Obligations of the Registrant

To maintain eligibility to practice either audiology or speech-language pathology in the province of Manitoba, whichever the case may be, it is the obligation of each individual registrant of the College to:

  1. Maintain registration;
  2. Renew Certificate of Practice annually;
  3. Maintain Professional Liability Insurance coverage that meets the minimum requirements as set out by the College;
  4. Renew advance competency certification(s) prior to expiry to maintain seamless eligibility to provide certain specialized health care services;
  5. Meet requirements of the Continuing Competency Program

Although each individual registrant is responsible to meet her or his obligations to the College, employers, supervisors, and managers are encouraged to keep an open dialogue with audiologists and speech-language pathologists in their employ or engaged by contract to ensure that individuals are doing so in a timely manner.

Duty to Report

As per The Regulated Health Professions Act, Section 168(1) and 168(2), employers are required to report the suspension or termination of employment, or engagement of a registrant of the College as a result of misconduct, incompetence, or incapacity. This applies not only to employees but also contractors and consultants. An employer must provide the report to Council of the College and the suspended or terminated registrant.


The College is responsible to accept complaints regarding the conduct or practice of its registrants.

Separate from the Duty to Report as described above, employers also have the ability to make a complaint to the College about the conduct of an audiologist or speech-language pathologist at any time.

Complaints filed with the College are voluntary and may be made regarding any audiologist or speech-language pathologist, regardless of the employment relationship or status. If you are concerned about the practice or conduct of an audiologist or speech-language pathologist but are unsure whether you wish to file a formal complaint, call the College and speak to the Registrar. Discussion with the Registrar will assist you in determining whether or not you wish to proceed with a formal complaint, or whether there may be an alternate path to resolving the matter.

A formal complaint must be submitted in writing. For more information about how to file a complaint, go to the Complaints Section on this website.