General Information

Who Can Practice in Manitoba?

An individual must be registered and hold a valid Certificate of Practice prior to beginning employment and/or working as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist, in any capacity (orientation, training, or otherwise).

In order to practice speech-language pathology or audiology and refer to oneself as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist in the province of Manitoba, one must be registered with the College of Audiologists and Speech Language Pathologists of Manitoba (CASLPM). To be clear, one must hold a valid Certificate of Practice in order to engage in professional practice in the province of Manitoba. Until such time, an individual cannot work as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist. If one were to engage in practice while not being registered, the College will be forced to issue a cease-and-desist order which could affect one’s ability to receive registration with the College.

In Manitoba, no one is allowed, by law, to be employed as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist prior to being granted registration and a certificate of practice with the College. Once granted a certificate of registration and Certificate of Practice, the individual’s name appears on the College register, as may be viewed on the public portal here on the CASLPM website.

Registration & Certificate of Practice

As is evident by its name, the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Manitoba regulates two health professions:

  1. Audiology
  2. Speech-Language Pathology

The College regulates by ensuring high-quality services are provided by those professionals registered with the College through safe and ethical care. All audiologists and speech-language pathologists who wish to practice either of these professions in the province of Manitoba must be registered with the College and hold a valid Certificate of Practice before engaging in practice.

Categories of Registration

Registration in either profession is qualified by the register and registration category under which each falls. Registrants may be registered with the College on one of two registers:

  1. Regulated Register
  2. Regulated Associate Register

There are four categories of registration for either profession on the Regulated Register:

  1. Full Regulated Registrant
  2. Provisional Regulated Registrant
  3. Restricted Purpose Regulated Registrant
  4. Non-Practicing Regulated Registrant

There is one category of registration for either profession on the Regulated Associate Register:

  1. Inactive / Retired Regulated Associate Registrant

Learn more about the categories of registration and the obligations, rights, and privileges of audiologists and speech-language pathologists.

Submitting Official Documents to the College

The College must show due diligence in preserving the integrity of the documents it collects.  The simplest means of accomplishing this is to have the documents delivered to the College Office in sealed envelopes, as sent directly from the source agency. There are a variety of other means to submit documents from third-party sources and safeguard the integrity of the contents if it is not possible to have the documents sent directly from the source agency to the College. It is the responsibility of the individual (on whose behalf the information is being sent) to ensure that all information is submitted to the College Office securely and in a manner which maintains the integrity of the documents.  If documents are sent to the College in a manner which does not protect the security and integrity, these will be held as placeholders in the applicant’s file until secure, verified documents are received. For complete details on how to submit documents to the College see: Protocols for Submitting Official Documents.


Upon submitting an Application form to the College Office, an applicant will be invoiced for an application fee. The application will be processed upon receipt of the application fee. This application fee is non-refundable. The applicant is responsible for the payment of all costs related to the application (fees associated with ordering official transcripts, criminal record checks, translation fees, language proficiency assessment fees, etc.)

The 2023 Fee Schedule provides a listing of the fees associated with application for registration with the College and eligibility to practice in Manitoba. Payments made for administration, registration, and practice fees are non-refundable.

Payment Methods

The College accepts payments by VISA or MasterCard

The fees for Annual Registration and Practice are based on a Practice Year, 1st January to 31st December.  Registrants who begin practice in Manitoba part way through a Practice Year or who cease to practice at any time during a Practice Year are not entitled to any reduction in their annual fees. Fees for Annual Registration and Certificate of Practice renewal are due 31st October in any given year, in preparation for the upcoming Practice Year.

Application Timelines

Applications for registration and eligibility to practice are reviewed as received. College staff work as quickly as possible to review applications and provide feedback. Please be patient; it may take six to eight weeks to review an initial application. These timelines are approximations. In order to prevent delays, applicants are reminded to be sure all required information and documentation is submitted to the College. Many factors influence the length of time it will take to process an application. Applicants must allow time for the College to receive documents from other parties, including teaching institutions, third-party agencies which supply record and registry checks, credentialing agencies, other regulating bodies, and former employers. The College is not responsible for any delays in receiving information from third parties. Delays may also occur when the volume of applications received at the College is heaviest. Typically, the College receives the greatest number of applications during the months of April through June.

To begin the registration process with the College: apply here